Recent studies have examined Oxytocin’s role in various behaviors, including orgasm, social recognition, anxiety, and maternal behaviors. 
Oxytocinis released during hugging and pleasant physical touch and plays a part in the human sexual response cycle. 
- Oxytocin can evoke feelings of contentment, reduction of anxiety, and feelings of calmness and security around a mate. 
- Oxytocin has been shown to affect different anti-stress functions; this may include reduction of blood pressure and cortisol levels, reducing anxiety, and increasing tolerance to pain. 
1. Lee HJ, Macbeth AH, Pagani JH, Young WS (June 2009). “Oxytocin: the great facilitator of life”. Progress in Neurobiology 88 (2): 127–51.doi:10.1016/j.pneurobio.2009.04.001. PMID 19482229.
2. Meyer, Dixie (2007). “Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Their Effects on Relationship Satisfaction”. The Family Journal 15 (4): 392–397.doi:10.1177/1066480707305470.
3. Windle RJ, Kershaw YM, Shanks N, Wood SA, Lightman SL, Ingram CD. Oxytocin attenuates stress-induced c-fos mRNA expression in specific forebrain regionsassociated with modulation of hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal activity. J Neurosci. 2004;24(12):2974-2982.